This is the time of year when many of us want to get outside and grill. Easy summer meals are in order as we spend more time outdoors and look for delicious and simple recipes for everyone to enjoy. This amazing grilled steak is best with cuts such as; flank, strip, hangar or London broil. For those of you who are not meat eaters the recipe is also perfect for salmon, chicken or tofu. Pork or lamb can be used as well making this a truly all purpose marinade. Feel free to marinate overnight in the refrigerator or for a couple weeks in the freezer.
Grilled Steak with the Best Marinade
1 1/2 pounds skirt, flank or hanger steak, scored*, room temperature
3 shallots, minced
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tb. Dijon mustard
1 Tb. rosemary, chopped
Fresh black pepper
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 scallions, julienne, garnish
1. Place the steak in a shallow baking dish.
2. Combine marinade ingredients, except wine and scallions in a medium bowl. Pour over steak and marinate about 2 hours or overnight, refrigerated.
3. Half hour before grilling remove steak from the refrigerator.
4. Heat grill pan for about 5 minutes. Grill steak, reserving marinade 7 to 8 minutes on each side for medium-rare meat. Remove to a cutting board.
5. Bring marinade to a boil with the red wine in a small saucepan, boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside. Slice meat thinly against the grain. Place on a serving platter and pour the marinade over. Garnish with the scallions and serve.
*To use this recipe for salmon- marinate no more than an hour and grill for 5 minutes- turn and then grill another 4 minutes. Or bake in a 400 oven for 10 minutes.