It’s a snow day today and Herman’s birthday is coming this week. I thought I would work ahead and start making some of the appetizers for a soiree I am hosting for him. Crab cakes are on the menu so why not make them ahead. They freeze well and it was the perfect zen project for me on a cold, winter day with a view of our snowy back yard. This is the best crab cake because it doesn’t have too many bread crumbs, these are full of lump crabmeat and delicious. You can freeze them and reheat in a 300 oven for 15 minutes before serving. That’s what I am going to do this Friday night- enjoy!
Spicy Crab Cakes with Chipotle Mayonnaise
1 Tb. vegetable oil, plus more for crab cakes
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, seeded, minced
3 Tb. chopped cilantro
2 large eggs
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 pound lump crab meat, picked over for cartilage
2 Tb. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs, for rolling the crab cakes around in
1 chipotle pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tb. lime juice
Salt, pepper, to taste
1. In a medium skillet heat the tablespoon of oil and sauté the onion until softened about 3 minutes. Add garlic, scallions and jalapeno and cook another 2 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Combine cilantro, eggs, mayonnaise, breadcrumbs, crab meat, salt, pepper and mustard in a medium bowl. Add onion mixture and mix well. Shape into small cakes about 11/2 inches high and place on a baking sheet coated with the panko. Toss the cakes in the breadcrumbs. Chill for about 30 minutes.
3. For the sauce, transfer all the ingredients to a processor and puree. Stir and taste for seasoning.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat; add a thin layer of vegetable oil and sauté the crab cakes until golden on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Spoon a small dollop of chipotle mayonnaise on each crab cake before serving.
* For a different topping use 1 ripe avocado pureed with 2 Tablespoons lime juice, salt and pepper and use in place of the chipotle mayonnaise.