I recently taught a class on Make Ahead Thanksgiving and re-discovered this lovely entree of boneless, turkey breast, roasted until browned and golden, then served with a delicious orange sauce.
The key ingredient is Grand Marnier which is such a perfect addition to any basting liquid. The end result is a moist and tender turkey breast with a sauce that would also work on roast chicken.
The make ahead part is you can roast the turkey, make the sauce and reheat it later in a 300 degree oven covered with foil for about 10 minutes.
Citrus-Glazed Roast Turkey Breast
Serves 8 to 10
1 boneless turkey breast half about 2 1/2 pounds
2 Tb. vegetable oil
2 oranges, juiced
1/3 cup Grand Marnier
1 cup chicken broth
2 Tb. unsalted butter, room temperature
2 Tb. flour
2 tsp. orange zest
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Heat the oven to 450. Rinse the turkey with cold water inside and out and pat dry. Season all over with salt and pepper.
- Combine the oil, salt, pepper, juice and Grand Marnier in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Place the turkey breast on a rack in a roasting pan and brush with the orange mixture. Roast for 20 minutes, basting once. Reduce heat to 350 and continue roasting and basting until internal temp. registers 165/170, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Brush the turkey with this mixture every 15 minutes.
- Remove turkey from oven and allow to rest covered lightly with foil. Meanwhile pour juices into a degreasing cup.
- Combine the butter and flour in a small bowl and mash into a paste. Pour a little of the fat drippings into the roasting pan and place over medium heat. Add the chicken stock and deglaze the pan scraping up all the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook over medium-hi heat about 10 minutes adding any leftover basting liquid and orange zest. Add small amounts of the butter/flour mixture whisking in after each addition. When thickened to the consistency of a sauce add the parsley and remove from heat. Season to taste with more salt and pepper.
- Carve turkey into thin slices and serve with the sauce.