This is one of my dishes that always gets rave reviews. It can be made with pork tenderloin as well which would be cooked for about 20 minutes. If you need to use an alternative sweetener, try honey.
Sweet and Spicy Sticky Chicken
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tb. lime juice
½ cup soy sauce or Tamari
1 Tb. minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. red pepper flakes
8 chicken thighs or 4 breast halves with the skin and bone
2 large carrots, peeled, julienne
1/2 daikon radish, peeled, julienne
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
Cilantro sprigs, garnish
- Whisk together the sugar, lime juice, soy, ginger, garlic and chili flakes in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and saute the chicken skin side down until golden brown about 10 minutes. Turn over and sauté the other side for 10 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside. Discard the fat.
- Meanwhile combine the carrots and daikon radish in a medium bowl, add the vinegar, sugar and salt and toss well. Chill if possible for twenty minutes
- Add the sauce to the pan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Simmer until slightly thickened about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan lower the heat to medium low, cover and cook until done, turning a few times about 12 minutes for dark meat and 8 minutes for breasts. Remove the chicken to a platter and cover with foil. Heat the sauce to boiling and reduce the sauce until syrupy about 3 minutes and then pour over the chicken.
- Surround the chicken with the carrot salad and garnish with cilantro sprigs.