What better way to beat the heat than to make a shrimp salad with Thai flavors. This is one of my go to recipes for entertaining and any other protein can be used such as; scallops, tofu, chicken breast or pork tenderloin. It’s a beautiful presentation salad and can be made in the morning or a day ahead.
1 pound large shrimp, peeled, de-veined
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 stalk lemongrass, tough outer leaves removed, minced
2 small carrots, peeled, julienne into 3 inch strips, blanched
1/2 large European cucumber, seeded, julienne in 3 inch strips
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
1 Tb. roughly chopped ginger
¼ to ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
5 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
5 Tb. cilantro, chopped
3 Tb. mint, chopped
1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
1. Combine the shrimp with the soy sauce, sesame oil and the lemongrass. Marinate for 30 minutes.
2. In a large bowl toss together the carrots, cucumber and cabbage.
3. Combine the vinegar, sugar, ginger, red pepper flakes and soy sauce in the processor. Add the vegetable and sesame oils slowly thru the feed tube. Stir in the cilantro and mint. Taste and adjust seasoning and set aside.
4. Heat a grilling pan until hot. Grill the shrimp two to three minutes on each side.
5. Toss the dressing with the vegetables and arrange on a serving platter. Place the shrimp around the outside of the platter and garnish with the nuts.